Heart & Cardiology/Cardiomyopathy

I've got idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. I have Afib with this and keep getting extreme tachycardia which means I have to go to hospital to get it controlled. I have asthma too. I'm in Europe and have good doctors, but I just seem to be left to go from crisis to crisis - I was in hospital Saturday night into Sunday - I called my doctor as my heart was beating so fast and irregularly, and it was having long intervals of no beats - I have a stethoscope and could hear nothing at the apex and I've been taught how to auscultate, and I was very very breathless. She was very worried and sent me to hospital. After being stabilised, I saw a a cardiologist who did loads of tests and said my heart was very much more dilated than before. On discharge I've been given 02 to breathe if I feel breathless.

I'm actually feeling relatively OK today and going to work tomorrow, but I'm so scared about another crisis and that I won't be able to call the doctor.

Hi Jean,
This type of cardiomyopathy is usually due to coronary artery disease and the arrhythmias are secondary:
W/o knowing the cause I cannot advice you further.
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon