Heart & Cardiology/MRSA and new pacemaker
Thanks so much for answering my questions. I am a 47 yr old female who is 100% pacemaker dependent. I take Coumadin for atrial fibrillation .
There are two issues that are of concern to me. Apparently, unexpectedly my pacemaker went into safety mode on March 21st. I had sent in a transmission the 17th and it was okay. My machine hasn't been working right to send in my transmissions. The end of Febuary I was told I had at least 8 months, so I wasn't too worried. I abruptly started feeling poorly the very start of a vacation March 23rd. Last week I collapsed and and had to be taken by ambulance. I am a teacher, so this was horrible. I didn't find out til I went for cardiac clearance that my pacer was in safety mode. The safety mode lasts x3 months which is in a few days. I'm scheduled for replacement on Fri the 19th.
I'm feeling so poorly, breathing edema. Is this cutting it too short?
Also, I had a prior pacemaker infection that involved a thoracic surgeon removing my leads and pacemaker and a lot of surrounding tissue. The pacer was relocated. I was on vancomycin for MRSA for quite awhile in the hospital.
They tested me for MRSA when they were scheduling this current surgery. A nasal swab. I just got a call that it's positive. Should this change the protocol for this surgery? I don't want another infection, but it CAN'T be postponed.
Can you help clarify or answer any of these concerns? I thank you so much!!!!
I think both your concerns are very valid, and should be discussed with your doctors, but before anything else is done the pacemaker settings need to be examined and if possible reset back to normal function - thus avoiding any surgery (plus possible infections).
On the other hand, your symptoms are consistent with heart failure, whether related to your pacemaker malfunction I don't know:
This needs to be treated now!
Hope this helps,