Heart & Cardiology/ER EKG

QUESTION: so i went to the ER with ST and Palpitations they ran 2 EKGS about 2 hours apart First says ST & T wave abnormality,Consider inferior ischemia...St &T wave abnormality,Consider anterolateral ischemia... and says unconfirmed but all my blood work came back normal but potassium was a tick low and i was dehydrated...the 2nd one says ST nonspecific T wave abnormality and they did another blood test and said all was fine i just had a echo done a few months back and they said that everything with my heart was normal had a holter i wore for 24 hours and they said my palpitations were also Benign so what does my ekgs mean now that im freaking out... does that mean that since the blood work came back normal that the first EKG was Wrong? i hope its just my anxiety getting best of me

ANSWER: Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/

The fact you were assessed in the er and felt fit enough to be discharged is very reassuring.

That EKG findings can be non specific, and although they may say ischemia, they need to be interpreted in the clinical context, the read by the physician trumps the read on the machine, non specific t wave abnormalities are common,

the normal echo, and benign holter monitor, are reassuring and rule out underlying structural heart disease and concerning arrhythmia,

I would recommend a post hospital follow up with a cardiologist just to reassure you and to look over all the tests done so far, doesn't sound like much to worry about,

Hope that was helpful,

QUESTION: thank you that was the best answer i have gotten so far...i have a hiatal hernia and being treated for H pylori gastris and i ahve noticed as of late my Heart rate goes sometimes up into the 120s i get alot of bloating no matter what i eat could there be a reason that my heart keeps going into ST after eating it will last for about hour or 2 then go back to normal

There has been some associations of tachycardia after eating and some have speculated that this is due to vagus nerve stimulation, however it hasn't been proven and importantly its not really dangerous, some would recommend a meal lower in carbohydrates to prevent "dumping syndrome' that can cause similar symptoms, try it and see.

Hope that was helpful,

QUESTION: i went to my Cardiologist and he pretty much didnt want to listen to me...i said that i have been having bradycardia as of late also as its pretty new to me he said that on my holter the lowest it got was 52 BPM and avg was 81 well last few days i have seen my rate at 58 to 64 which im not used to and really freaks me out cause im used to my heart being in 70-80s sometimes low 90s i havnt been very athletic for the passed 3 years im alittle overweight but not much he said its normal for a 34 year old for there heart to go that low while sleeping or at rest i was like im not used to it does that sound right to you was he correct or just brushing me off he said according to all my test my heart is fine and didnt want to do a Stress echo or a 64 slice...

Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/what-is-a-normal-heart-rate/

Your resting heart rate is not concerning. Although the heart rate is lower than it used to be it is not in a worrying range. Sometimes the reason for the change is unknown. It would be different if you were getting symptoms, in which case sometimes a treadmill test to see heart rate response to exercise maybe useful, although thats usually for people in the 30-50 range. If you are worried about ischemia and you want some further testing, treadmill exercise test maybe a good place to start. Your Dr may feel reassured that you don't need one however.

Hope that was helpful.  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama