Heart & Cardiology/query

QUESTION: Dear sir,

My cousin aged was on atenolol 100 hctz 25 losartan 100 and amlosepine.

due bp increase his dr changed losartan 100 to olmesartan 40 mg. Is the new drug superior or rather 24 hours acting since he asked him to take olmesartan 40 mg in the night. Purpose of query is to ensure its efficacy since cost of olmesartan 40 is substantial.

secondly he asked to change atenolol 100 to metpure 50 xl wice ( (-) s metoprolol. Again it is slightly cost effective, i thought advisable to gave your views on this drug as to whether this will be really beneficial tomy cousin.

My intention is purely academic. I solicit your guidance since in India we do not have insurance for opd treatment and hence cost of medicines which need to be taken almost life long has a greater relevance.

Hi, http://myheart.net/articles/

I personally don't feel these switches to more expensive medications are critical. I would ask for the specific reason this was done.  In general continuation with the generic medications would be acceptable.

Hope that was helpful,  

Heart & Cardiology

Mustafa Ahmed MD

Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Hypertension, Pulmonary Embolism, Structural and Valve Disease

Board Certification Internal Medicine and Cardiology Interventional and Structural Cardiology

Multiple Publications In High Quality Peer Reviewed Journals. Internationally Recognized.

MD from The Royal Victoria University of Manchester, England Medicine, Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Research Training - University of Alabama