Heart & Cardiology/Ectopic heartbeats

Last July after a bout of rapid heart rate I got told I was anaemic but since I suffer from anxiety it caused a lot of worry for me and my anxiety got really bad. I was put on iron tablets and started to feel better physically but then started to get skipped beats every now and again so I went back to my GP and he referred me for a 24hr ecg to help put my mind at ease, when I got the results I had some ectopics I think it said 19 in 24hrs and the doctor told me to not worry and just try to ignore them. I've been coping quite well until about a week ago as I find myself getting quite anxious easily and get the ectopics more frequent that usual even when I feel perfectly fine! I would say I have no more than 20 a day of what I can feel. It's ruining my life in scared I am going to drop dead and it depresses me all the time to think the next time it happens I could die. Should I worry and is there anything I can do to try and stop these happening I don't drink alcohol or caffeine and I don't smoke. Thank you

Hi Amy,
For most patients ectopic beats are more annoying than dangerous. I can't tell from here whether you are at risk, but please read this:
Hope this helps,
Dr T

Heart & Cardiology

Expert opinions on cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Over 30 years experience of dealing as an expert with cardiac, thoracic and vascular diseases

Board certified cardio-thoracic surgeon