Heart & Cardiology/Taking blood pressure

I've been treating my hypertension for 27 years. I take 2 meds and its perfect at home. I have white coat syndrome so I seldom get a good reading at the clinic. Recently they changed how they take it. Instead of sitting in a chair with my arm supported even with my heart they have me sit on the exam table with my arm hanging down. Its making matters worse. How do I tell them they are doing it wrong?

The minor change in position should not matter. If there is any question about the adequate control of your BP ask your doctor about a 24 hour BP monitor. Everyone's BP is elevated some of the time. The question is how much of the time and whether there are any end-organ effects.

Good luck!!!

Dr. P

Heart & Cardiology

Frank J. Pearl, M.D.

Voluntary Professor of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL. Board certified in cardiovascular disease