Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Absentee control of humidity

I've purchased a home in Southern Florida which will not be used in the summer. Is it better to control humidity in the empty house by installing a humidistat that controls the A/C or by installing a 240V timer that runs the A/C three of four hours a day. I have had different points of view from several people. Some say that it will be humid all the time so the A/C will work all the time and that running it three hours a day on a timer will take care of humidity problems. If you vote for the humidistat what degree of humidity should be set? Thank you

Set your humidistat to 70-80%, and your temp on the thermostat from 80-84.  Theoretically, you can leave the thermostat set to 90 or so because the HEAT isn't bad but the humidity is what damages everything, but the home won't get to 90 without clearing the humidity threshold and turning on the system via humidistat anyway.  If you are a "snowbird," you should definitely have a h-stat on your wall controlling it when you aren't home.  Where in South Florida are you?  I'd have no problem installing it for you and wiring it correctly, and explaining how to work it.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Frank A.

I will be happy to answer any basic HVAC question by a homeowner, installer, or technician about their split-system maintenance, repair, and installation. I would not be willing to do extensive research into the particulars of a specific system, but any homeowner looking to get questions answered about why we contractors charge what we do, explanations of why a certain part is needed, how to improve indoor air quality and basic repair. I specialize in ELECTRIC HEAT and HEATPUMPS...NOT gas or oil. Although I may be able to answer the odd question about gas and oil, please do not ask me questions pertaining to them because I am not an expert in that aspect of the field.

I repaired my father's unit when I was 9, and always had an interest in the field. Became a helper at 16, and am now a certified contractor for residential systems in HVACR. So I have over 20 years experience in the field, and add about 7 more of just dabbling and study.

ACCA, Rheem Team, Trane Certified Contractors, Nordyne Distributors, a host of others.

HVAC Insider, A/C Experts, HVAC Contractor South Florida, mentioned as a reference in Trane Instructional Videos 2-5. My company was recognized in HVAC Insider in 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. I am personally mentioned in the articles pertaining to my awards.

EPA, Journeyman, Licensed contractor, NATE, Puron, Trane, Carrier, Rheem Team.

I won the ACCA technician award on the state-wide level 8 years running. This is the all-around A/C repair competition where most large companies each send their best guy to compete for the plaque. I am 12-for-17, rated as the #1 technician in Florida. I have the plaque to prove it. **I placed second in 2011, ending my 9 year run. But won it again in 2012, and the award should arrive in late January.

Tommy Lee Jones, Santana Moss, Wayne Brandy, Jennifer Lien, Patrick Stewart, Jason Taylor, Kirsten Dunst, Majel Barrett Roddenberry, Robert Picardo, Ethen Phillips, Ashley Judd, Debbie Gibson among others.