Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Rusty Leaky Evaporator Coils

Hi Frank,

We live in Southwest Florida and have a 6 year-old 3 Ton Split Rheem 11 SEER, which is currently out of warranty for our issue (5-year parts; 10-year compressor).  It recently got clogged due to some construction we were having done to our house.  We noticed this when we returned from vacation and our air handler (in the garage attic) had overflowed with water dripping down from the ceiling.  A AC service company did a maintenance and rebuilt the exterior of our air handler.  A month later, the AC starting blowing warm air.  The service company returned and found that the air handler was frozen and had to wait for it to thaw.  They then charged the system with R-22 refrigerant and discovered that there was a leak in our evaporator coil.  It seems to be a fairly large leak as the freon charge only lasted about 3 days.  They quoted us a $950 charge to replace this part.  However, they are strongly recommending to replace the entire unit with a higher SEER level.  They have quoted us 3 units, Tempstar 13 SEER, Tempstar 16 SEER and a Westinghouse 23 SEER unit ranging from $4900 to $7900.  Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also, your thoughts if this issue could be related to construction debris?  Thanks for your time.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Frank A.

I will be happy to answer any basic HVAC question by a homeowner, installer, or technician about their split-system maintenance, repair, and installation. I would not be willing to do extensive research into the particulars of a specific system, but any homeowner looking to get questions answered about why we contractors charge what we do, explanations of why a certain part is needed, how to improve indoor air quality and basic repair. I specialize in ELECTRIC HEAT and HEATPUMPS...NOT gas or oil. Although I may be able to answer the odd question about gas and oil, please do not ask me questions pertaining to them because I am not an expert in that aspect of the field.

I repaired my father's unit when I was 9, and always had an interest in the field. Became a helper at 16, and am now a certified contractor for residential systems in HVACR. So I have over 20 years experience in the field, and add about 7 more of just dabbling and study.

ACCA, Rheem Team, Trane Certified Contractors, Nordyne Distributors, a host of others.

HVAC Insider, A/C Experts, HVAC Contractor South Florida, mentioned as a reference in Trane Instructional Videos 2-5. My company was recognized in HVAC Insider in 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. I am personally mentioned in the articles pertaining to my awards.

EPA, Journeyman, Licensed contractor, NATE, Puron, Trane, Carrier, Rheem Team.

I won the ACCA technician award on the state-wide level 8 years running. This is the all-around A/C repair competition where most large companies each send their best guy to compete for the plaque. I am 12-for-17, rated as the #1 technician in Florida. I have the plaque to prove it. **I placed second in 2011, ending my 9 year run. But won it again in 2012, and the award should arrive in late January.

Tommy Lee Jones, Santana Moss, Wayne Brandy, Jennifer Lien, Patrick Stewart, Jason Taylor, Kirsten Dunst, Majel Barrett Roddenberry, Robert Picardo, Ethen Phillips, Ashley Judd, Debbie Gibson among others.