Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/deck around a/c unit

Question
We are wanting to build a deck in the backyard and the best location would be around the a/c unit.  It would not be built over it, but strictly around it.  Is this feasible if by chance the a/c unit might have to be replaced at sometime?  The deck would not be any higher than 18 inches off the ground.  Would it be possible to lift the a/c unit out if it needed to be replaced?  Thank you

Answer
I suggest you have the outside unit moved before building the deck.. You should ideally have NOTHING about the exterior fan on top of the unit, so as not to restrict the expelled air to cool the compressor.  I am guessing that this is a split-system, which means you have a second unit somewhere inside like in your attic or closet.  I hope so, because then it will be easier to relocate.  The copper lines and electrical box and adjoining wiring can be extended to move the system.  Eventually, the unit WILL need to be replaced and to do the work now with some foresight makes it not only easier for the technician but also cheaper for you.  If you decide to not move it which I advise against, you really should have at least 30 inches of clearance above the unit and at least 36 inches all around the unit, and normal codes where I work in Florida specify at least 18 inches off the firewall of your home.  That is if you have 36 on the OTHER three sides.  Call a contractor, because it involves pumping freon, pouring a new slab, extending copper lines, wires, possibly a new disconnect box, mounting said box, insulating, mounting the unit, and troubleshooting to be certain the unit is working perfectly after the job.  If you are in South FLorida, I'd be happy to come take a look and give you a number comparable to other contractors.  You HAVE to used someone licensed for this, there is no way around it.  You may even need to pull permits to actually move the system depending on what county you are in.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Frank A.