Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/carrier ignition lockout after 9 hrs

My 2-yr old carrier gas furnace acting funny. It'll lockout after few hours, overnight or sometimes 40 hours of using. I read the status code is 14.   The trick to get it back is one of these two, either wait for 3 hrs in cold till it resets itself (what the manual says) or manually flip power button.  A tech spent 10 hours cleaning everything, except sensor, and found if taking burner cover off it works just fine, one attempt the flame always on hence no lockout.  So the culprit is really the sensor, 2 years old?  or grounding, other internet answer.  Thank you John B. in advance.

I have a Little trouble understanding what you said.  You made a point of saying the tech cleaned everything except the sensor.  Why did he not clean the sensor?  
 Then you said "one attempt the flame always on hence no lockout?  What does that mean?  I also do not understand " So the culprit is really the sensor, 2 years old?  or grounding, other internet answer. "
 It does not sound like you actually had a tech out, but rather an apprentice that has no experience.  10 hours???  Really???
 It sounds to me, even from the fragmented clues, that you had birds, bees, mice get into the pvc flue and is blocking the air, that is why it runs better with the cover off.  There is an inlet "plastic screen" inside the black plastic base that the pvc pipe is attached to right below the burners, that would be the first place to look.  Next the termination of the pvc pipe outside. Look there for any leaves thAt might have been sucked in and blocking the pipe.
 What does the ledger on the door of the furnace say for the 14 code?  Is it pressure switch.  Let me know, but in the mean time call the company that sent the tech and ask for the owner.  Explain to him how long the guy was there and that you are without heat.  He might not know what thAt tech is doing in the field.  Either way, ask for a senior or top tech.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.