Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Evaporator coil location

Where exactly is the "evaporator" coil located on a packaged outdoor heat pump unit? I have removed the cover and one side. I see what I think is the condenser coil, and it is clean. Im just not sure which one that I am looking at. The coil I see is as tall as the unit itself. It is a Tappan unit. Thank you.

First on a Heat Pump the coils can be either a condensor or an evaporator coil depending on if it is heating or cooling.  In the A/C mode the condensor coil is the one you can see without removing any panels with the outdoor fan motor pulling air through it and discharging it up into the air.  The evaporator coil is the one inside the package unit right behind the filter ( or the factory filter bracket if an add on filter bracket is installed).
 In the heating mode the evaporator coil is the one that is pulling air from outdoors through it, removing heat from the atmosphere.  It then goes to the the condensor coil that is in the air stream behind the air filter and blowing the heat off the coil into the air duct that blows air through the floor vents that are in every room.
 Hope that helps

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.