Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Replacing AC Compressor in Coastal NJ

Question
My ten year old 3 Ton HEIL 14 Seer Max Compressor was recently damanged in Hurricane Sandy and needs replacement.  A local reputable contractor is recommending replacement with an R22 Bryant 3 Ton unit.  As part of the damage, the duct work underneath the house (crawlspace) needs replacement as well.  My flood insurance will likely cover a pro-rated cost for the compressor.  Question...should I consider this R22 replacement or look to spend more of my own resources to upgrade to an R-410A (Puron) unit for better efficiency, etc.?  Thank you, TJC.

Answer
I am not a fan or R-410a and would likely stick with R-22.  Since I do not know the condition of the rest of the system I can not give you a good honest answer.  You might be surprised to see what the insurance will pay for.  I have spoken to a couple of local here that had R-22 units.  Their condensing units where stripped of the copper and the insurance paid for an entire new system because of the laws regarding R-22.

Craig
achelpguy@gmail.com

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert