Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/self-contained gas(LP) furnace/AC

Question
My house is 1800 sq. feet 3BR 2 1/2 bath ranch-style and my Unit is a 4 ton LP gas unit. There is only me in this house now.
Can I help reduce/control the heating and cooling of unused areas(extra bedrooms, etc.) without harming the system?  Is just shutting the duct vent cover sufficient to accomplish this? My return duct  has four 16x30"openings at the corner of the haallway.

My ex-spouse was a heating and AC contractor and said that shutting down rooms would affect the efficiency of the unit and wear it out....was this true?

Answer
Lynn,

You probably can get by with closing a room, too close several would not be good for the system, in cooling mode you may not be pushing enough air across the indoor coil, possible iceing the coil. In heat mode ,not enough air going across the heat exchanger may raise the bonnent temperature and possible trip a high limit control .Your remaining open ducts will probably be whistling also, as the air has to go somewhere.If you have fiberboard duct you may increase chances of it splitting.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe