Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/coleman central heat will not come on.

QUESTION: i have a 2001 coleman central heat and ac in a mobile home. the heat will not respond. the thermostat seems to be fine. i can turn on the fan and ac. but heat will not work. i have checked breakers with no result. outside by the ac unit there is a small breaker box but the plate inside makes no sense. something about pull t handle and invert. very hard to read after over 11 years outside in north Texas. any suggestions would be helpful.

First off, you should have a setting on the thermostat for your back up heat to come on.  The mode switch should say, cool-off-heat-emergency heat.  If you switch to emergency heat the indoor electric furnace should come on and heat your home.  You don't want to leave it that way, as, that is the expensive heat you have availible.  
 As far as the Heat Pump giving you heat, the first thing to check is your indoor air filter.  If it is clogged, your outdoor unit could have shut down due to overheating.  If the air filter gets clogged, the heat comming in from outdoors cannot be removed and blown into the home, so it goes back outside where it is heated again.  The temperature and the pressure of the "freon" keeps going up and up, untill it is unsafe for your eqipment and it shuts down ( from sensors that take pressure and temperature  constantley ) to prevent damage.
 Beyond those two things, you will need a tech out to put his guages and temperature measuring devices and volt meter on the heat pump and find the issue.

QUESTION: my unit is not a heat pump. there is no setting for emergency heat on my thermostat.

My Bad.  Most set ups like that in a manufacture home have a heat pump.  So, you have an electric furnace only.
 In that case, about the only thing you can do as a home owner is pull the door off the Coleman furnace and look at the 2 breakers (depending on many strip heaters you have ) Make sure they are both on and that one of them has not tripped "off".  If your not sure, turn them ALL the way off and then all the way on.  
 If that doesn't make it work, you will need a tech out to replace the sequencer or a burnt wire.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.