Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Furnace won't light

I have a small horizontal Janitrol gas furnace that won't light. Trouble shooting guide says a continuous blinking light is incorrect twinning or incorrect primary polarity. 1 blinking light says ignition failure, 2 blinking lights closed pressure switch, 3 blinking lights pressure switch failed to close, 4 blinking lights open limit switch, 5 blinking lights false flame sensed. Rapid continuous says check reveres transformer secondary leads reverse primary wires. I have been working in general maintenance field for 37 years almost 62 would like to fix furnace myself if I can.
We bought the house used. Furnace is over 10 years old. We have power failures 2 to 4 times a month for the last two months. Would these power failures caused a problem with the furnace?

Well, you gave me a lot of info, but, you didn't give me any info on the furnace failure or even if it did????  Generally you will have a 1 blink code when the ignitor fails as it will at least twice in the furnace life, maybe 3 times.  The Hot Surface Ignitor should read 60 to 140 ohms type range, higher number means older and closer to failure untill it burns and then your meter will read ZERO, as there will be no path for the electricity.
 A 4 code will be when your let your air filters get too dirty, too many times and or have heating vents shut down and the furnace over heats.
 You will probably only see those 2 codes

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.