Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/H/W, natural Gas boiler

Is their much of a cost difference in a boiler with a standing pilot light versus one with an electronic ignition, as I can always shut off the unit, during the warmer month?

Do you know if I can convert the standing pilot light boiler(Weil McClain) to an electrinic ignition type, or will the cost be too great?

Weil McClain CGa-5

I assume you mean difference in the cost to operate or with the different features.  As far as cost to operate, it depends on the size of the pilot oriface and pressure setting and the cost per therm in your area, but basically you are just burning all that gas right out the stack, just like burning money.
 Yes you can convert to ignition source, both spark and hot surface ignitor.  The problem is, that unless you can find a model or Weil Mclain that has a pilot hood that holds both a spark rod and a flame sensor, you also have to replace the entire gas valve as well.
 If you do the work your self it is about $100 bucks for the valve and $150 for the control module plus parts.  If you pay for a professional to do it, it will be in the $600 to $800 range, depending on the control that he uses.
 Being that it is a standing pilot system speaks of the age, so personally I wouldn't consider the "upgrade" unless this is a high end high capacity boiler.  I would recommend that you have the burners, pilot, ect. cleaned on a regular basis, so that when you use the largest volume of gas that it burns clean and gets you the maximum therms of heat converted and helps prevent the heat exchanger and burners from degrading.
 When you do get the point of replacement, you should consider the ULTRA line and especially the nice wall units that also heat the domestic water in the same unit, all electronic, quiet and very efficient

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.