Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heat Pump-

Question
Hi Craig,
I have a split system heat pump-Goodman 2 1/2 ton about 11 years old. Can you tell me if there is leak in the evaporator coil will it affect my heating system? Does the heat use Freon? We also have-e-heat with heat strips.

Answer
When a heatpump is running in heatpump mode it does require the use of the refrigerant.  Just like in cooling mode, any leak will cause it to stop working at some point.  In heat mode, the leak in the evap will cause the refrigerant to be greater then if it were in cooling mode.    You can still use the emer heat mode, as it is not affected by refrigerant.  

Craig
achelpguy@gmail.com

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert