Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/heating unit

Question
Only when it is coldest like overnight and early morning, when the temperature of the heat reaches what it is set at (68 or 70 degrees) on the thermostat, the heat is trying to shut off but immediatley comes back on.  The fan on the outside unit is running but as soon as it goes to shut down it starts back up before the blades even stop spinning and will do this constantly about every 15 seconds!  Thanks for your reply, I am worried about my electric bill being high or the whole unit needing to be replaced.  (We do have a heat pump and run on total electric, no gas.)

Answer
Lisa,
 I am onther expert here been on vacation.  I hope you have had someone out by now, but if not I can help you.  It sounds to me like your indoor air filter is clogged solid, the indoor fan is not running or you have a restriction in the refrigeration tubing.  When something like that happens on a heat pump...SHUT it off immidiately.  Then turn your thermostat to emergency heat and call a tech.  That will eliminate the outdoor unit and give you an electric furnace until you can get it repaired.  Those symtoms if left to run like that can ruin your compressor, or in other words, a new unit.
 Let me know if I can help you any more

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman