Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Oil fired home boiler

Question
My home temp is staying at 75 - 80 deg even though I have my digital thermostat set betw 62 - 65 deg. I had someone ck the temp setting on my boiler. said they were fine. Told me to change the thermostat because it was 15 yrs old. Base boards are still constantly hot and I still have the problem. What can it be?

Answer
It is very likely that your system has a flow-check device on the piping near the boiler which is hung up, or has been left in the opened position.  You can follow the link below if a photo might help you to identify what I am referring to:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bell+and+gossett+flow+control+valve&num=10&hl=en&

If it has been left in the opened position you will need to turn it closed.  If it is stuck it can often be freed by banging on it with a hammer.

If you have a zone valve system, and do not use flow checks, you probably have a bad valve.  You will need a heating tech to replace a bad zone valve, and refill the system.

With Regards,

Mike  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Mike Reavis