Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Prior question from 10/1/2008

Question
I saw a questions you posted on 10/1/2008 regarding a Goodman Unit PGJ036100 having problems with the heat exchanger. What was the end result for you?  My mother purchased one in Oct 2001, had a new heat exchanger put in 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012. She finally gave up and purchased a new unit for almost $4,000.  Every heat exchanger had at least 3 cracks in it when they took it out.  She is elderly and should not have had this problem to deal with.  Thanks.

Answer
I am not sure the particular question you are addressing, but one thing I always recommend is a carbon monoxide detector with any fuel burning appliance including a heating system. Also many are only good for one year, so pay close attention to the directions as they are unlike a smoke detector. With this many exchangers I would highly recommend one or more as a cracked exchanger WILL put exhaust into the home. I would also have a contractor inspect the ducts to see why so many have cracked. A common problem is shutting off some of the supply vents in unused rooms, this will cause hot air to back up in the ductwork overheating the exchanger. It is best to close the doors to these rooms but never close a vent. Thanks J

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

J Cook