Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Replacing HVAC system

Question
I'm replacing my furnace/AC and getting conflicting recommendations. One contractor recommends I get a Bryant 987m furnace with a modulating motor and the Bryant 187b 2-stage AC. He says this system will provide work better with my zoning system, provide better comfort and efficiency and is worth the extra $1000 in cost.

Contractor B is recommending the Bryant 986T 2-stage furnace and Bryant 186B single stage AC saying this system is what will meet my needs and the extra cost for the upgrade isn't justified in efficiency or comfort.

I live in Minnesota, my house is about 3700 sq. feet, built in 1993, and has 3 zones. My question is whether it is worth the extra cost to get the upgrade.

Answer
Kurt,

I would go with the single stage A/C unit , both seem to have a variable speed furnace and two stages heat, You living in a state that has a relatively short cooling season , to me the extra cost of going with the two stage A/C is not worth it.Probably would take you many years for the payback. Also more bells and whistle parts to break sooner,with the two stage, costing $$ ( so much for your minimal cost saving going with a two stage a/c vs one stage. ) Beware of buying long extended service/labor contracts from the installer, they are not transferable if the Contractor goes out of business.Does not matter if they have been in business many years, seen many long established Companies go out of business. Also have them check your current circuit breaker for your outdoor A/C unit, it may be oversized ( amperage wise ) for the newer more energy-efficient A/C units. Typically they use less amperage to run and may require a smaller rated maximum overcurrent breaker.Your not to exceed the maximum overcurrent breaker.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe