Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Return air

Question
Hello I have a split system and the unit downstairs seems to be pulling harder than the return upstairs
Also I have a wood stove and when it cools down in the early hours the unit kicks on and then I have a smoke problem. The unit is on the opposite end of the return grill and the return is a straight shot its 20x24 the unit has a 12x12 grill.

Answer
You did not give my anything I need to work from in the question.  The size of the return and a 12 x 12 does not do my any good.  Now, what I can say is that just because it is pulling harder doe not mean it is working harder.  The size of the ducts will determine what the air velocity will be.  Consider the amount of suction power of a vacuum through a 2" hose or a 4" hose.  The amount of air is the same, but the 2" has more suction.  

You need to see if you have a back draft damper on the fireplace and that it works.  You house is going neg. and the smoke is being drawn back inside.

Craig
achelpguy@gmail.com

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert