Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Rheem Criterion gas furnace will not light

I have a Rheem criterion I (not II) gas furnace. Last night Murphy's law kicked in and decided that since it dropped into the low 30's, it wasn't going to light.  I took off the access door and this is what I see....
Both the induction and main blower do kick in as normal. The HSI starts to heat up and I do hear the click and gas flowing from the gas valve. However, the HSI does not heat up as I believe it should be.  It is an M shaped piece that has a surface area about 1.5-2 inches from tip to base, and about 1-1.5 inches wide. The only part of it that is heating up to a glowing red is a small point about the size of a carpenter's pencil lead.  Unless I am mistaken, the entire surface should be glowing, correct? That way it provides enough hot surface area to ignite the gas.
I wanted to get another opinion before I went out and bought one even though this seems to be the quickest and cheapest fix.  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much

I think you may be right, I also think the igniter needs to glow to white hot?
You can match light the burners by having a flame at the igniter point the instant that the valve kicks in.
The only other possibility might be that the igniter is positioned to far away from the burner to light the burner fast enough?

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim Barnhart

Fifty + years conditioning the air.

Answer questions about , residential and commercial. Answer questions about sheet metal fabrication. Fifty years plus experience. No answers for oil equipment, No answers for kitchen appliances, No answers for laundry appliances, I don't specialize in one particular area of the HVAC area, I'm more of a General Practitioner, Limited in refrigeration/

Hands on since 1950