Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Rheem RRKA-A036

Question
I have a rheem rrka a036 heater/ac unit installed on the roof. It has recently started this problem of starting up normally and the burners shut off after about 30 sec to a minute. The indicator light flashes twice and that apparently means a pressure problem. I replaced the pressure switch but that did not do the trick, the exhaust blower is making a little noise so I am not sure if it is pulling correctly.

Answer
Brian,

Not knowing the age I am going to guess 15 plus years old and the louvered panel above that exhaust is all rusty. That has a exhaust fax with a open blade system for moving the air (not a good design) and between the motor dragging all the rust and clogged up areas through that fan are the reasons you aren't making the pressure switch. You might try pulling the rubber hose on the opposite side of the pressure switch hose off the metal pressure port (nipple) and cleaning it out because it gets clogged. (don't drop whatever metal you are putting in the hole or you will have to take the whole assembly off to retrieve it) Also make sure that the pressure switch hose is not cracked or stretched on both ends. That should do the trick.

If when you push a piece of wire in the little hole and find it is clogged up you can take a drill bit that is just barely too big for that hole and auger out the hole making it just minutely bigger don't get carried away if you make it too big you will drill the rivet out that is holding that pressure port in.

Some of those "inducers" have a small plastic oil tube on top of the motor, if so, sewing machine oil works great.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman