Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/What is what

I am in the Phoenix area and have a 4 ton 12 seer roof package heat pump unit(Goodman).  I need to replace this unit with a new one.  What Seer rating should I be looking at,14,14.5, 15?  I got a quote on a Maytag 15 seer unit but it has a 2 stage, and I have read that the 2 stage is not a good thing to have but then again it seems that many of the 15seer or better have them so are they good or not?  What do you hear about the Maytag?  Good, Bad, OK I can't find much info about them.  What would you recomend as a good, solid, depandable unit for the Arizona heat?  I have two quotes (Day&Night #2). The price is about the same I don't want to over pay but I need a good unit that will last and stand up in this heat.  I don't mind getting another quote but for what? I could use some useful information so I can make a good choice.  Thanks Mel

Maytag licensee their name to Nordyne ,which owns or licensee Frigidaire, Kelvinador, Gibson, Broan,Tappan,Westinghouse, Nutone.Nordyne currently has the highest SEER rated of all manufacture at 24.5 on some models. I would stick with a 13-15 SEER single speed system.Look for a strong warranty, the compressor in the Maytag ,Payne, and all other brands except Trane probably will be a Copeland, Recommend getting a scroll compressor, more durable than reciprocating. Look to see what the model brand has for functioning parts at the same SEER,and price. One brands model may have a high and low pressure switches whereas another brand model of the same SEER  may only have a low pressure control.One brand may have a built in 5 minute time delay for compressor protection ,whereas another may not. Double check the current circuit breaker for your package unit as it may be overrated amperage wise for the newer more energy - efficient units. The newer unit even thou it's still a 4 ton may require a smaller rated breaker size and the original would need to be replaced. All the functioning parts are made in 2nd world countries for the most part,the same parts are in each brands.Not much difference from one brand to another of the same SEER nowadays.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.