Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heil Heat Pump

When I put my Heil heat pump in the heat mode, it goes into defrost mode about every 30 seconds.  The outside fans stops for a few seconds and then starts again.  In A/C mode and emergency heat (heat strips) it works just fine.  Any suggestions?

From the sound of it, I would suspect a bad defrost board.  You can try can change the time between defrosts.  There is a pin on the board that will allow you to choose how often the unit goes into defrost.   The defrost board is located in the control box of the cond. unit.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.