Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/HVAC guys licensedto check gas leaks?

Question
hello,
i am selling my house and recently had an inspections done where the buyer wanted us to certify the furnace and check gas lines for possible leaks. the HVAC came to certify the furnace but said he was not licensed / insured to check gas lines leading to the furnace and the water heater as this is a plumber's area of expertise. Can you please confirm if that is true? it doesn't really make much sense that somebody is checking your furnace to make sure it operates correctly is not allowed to check the gas lines.

Answer
Gas lines are mainly plumbing.  I work out of Florida, so that is the case here.  HVAC/R might be AFFILIATED with gas heat, as is a water-cooled unit...But technically, the gas and water lines in a water-cooled system fall to the PLUMBER to inspect and approve.

I had the same thing happen in on my grandmother's home.  Gas furnace, and for the sale of the house I needed to have a plumber inspect it.  I have maintained it every few years myself, repaired issues, and am allowed to do so...But a plumber had to approve anything major and check afterwords (if gas lines themselves were involved.)  

The gas lines need specific equipment to be checked, which few guys have.  I happen to, but have used them ONLY to make certain I didn't have a leak.  I believe he can CHECK it, but without the proper measurement equipment he shouldn't try at all.  Then again, not every A/C guy was trained in the same school or at the same time, or even in the same state.  And requirements for state codes are all different.  

Florida, I am allowed to check pressure.  NOT for a leak.  NY, I am not allowed to touch ANYTHING with the gas lines...Only the electrical and freon systems.  So it does vary from state-to-state.  Best advice I can give you is to make sure your guy is licensed, and take him at his word.  If he is from a bigger company, ring the main office and talk to the owner.  If he is a little guy, he might be just saying that because he can't or won't mess with it.

You make sense with your deduction by the way, but gas lines are for heating mainly and while that is the H in HVAC/R, gas lines have always been plumbing.  That is why I made sure I was trained in gas heating as well...But not every person does so.  Besides, all he'd be able to do in Florida is check the pressure and look up the specifications.  He cannot adjust intake or pressure, because that is through your utility gas provider, which is why they want a plumber or one of their own technicians out there.  You may be better off calling the gas company and having them send someone out to look.  After all, that is why they are there.

Hope I helped.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Frank A.