Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Refrigerator freezing while freezer thaws

QUESTION: My Amana side-by-side refrigerator, model no. SX255W, has begun acting strangely. Vegetables in the bottom drawer freeze. The top shelf of the fridge is cold; the middle shelves room temperature. Food in the upper half of the freezer thaws. The bottom half remained frozen. (It should be noted, though, that the top part contained mainly quick-thawing items like bread and vegetables, while the bottom had roasts.)

The first time this happened, we took everything out and unplugged it. The next day, we plugged it back in to try to figure out the problem, and it appeared to be functioning normally. We tested by freezing ice cubes on the top shelf and checking the temps with a thermometer.

So we put everything back in. It seemed to work fine for a couple of months, but yesterday, it happened again. When we emptied it, I noticed that this time, the bottom half of the back wall of the freezer was frosted over.

If it matters, both times the freezer was very full. The first time, the fridge was packed, too. The second time, the fridge was not so full and, in particular, there was definitely space around the duct at the back of the top shelf.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

ANSWER: You have a defrost problem meaning one of three things are defective.  Defrost heater, timer or terminator.  It is difficult to determine which is defective without testing these items.  In addition, I tried to run the model number you supplied and it is not a good model number.  When replying, please supply a good and valid model number.    

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Amana details
Amana details  
QUESTION: Here is the tag from the inside of the fridge. It looks like I mistook an S for a 5.

We can likely test if you'll tell us how.

Thanks for the rating.....are you the one who called and said your control was burnt?  I told you to have it soldered?  Eric

Thanks for the model number.  Looks like you have an electronic defrost control that is no longer available.   If you remove the freezer inside rear cover you can test the defrost heater.  If it have continuity, it is good.  The next item to test is the defrost terminator.  Keep in mind when testing this, it must be cold or it will read open and appear defective. If both of these have continuity when cold, the electronic control is not initiating defrost and then you might try and find someone who rebuilds those controls.  There are companies that rebuild controls and a search for appliance rebuilt controls should produce a few.  Check their lists and see if part number 10678002 or 120050506 is among the controls they rebuild.  Both numbers will work on your unit. Good Luck and If I can help further.....      Eric  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. If maxed-out... You may visit our website at for quicker service.

30 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched and is supervised by My Wife Ann who is also very experienced in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business

My credentials can be viewed on my website at