Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central Air

How critical is it to clean ducts to an air conditioner, and how often should they be cleaned.  We've heard some say you never have to clean them if they look okay, but others say you should clean them because you can't see the dirt that may be hiding.  We bought a 1997 house that has a new TRANE  AC, but the  co. said the ducts were not cleaned when it was installed and that it's good to clean them now and every 5 years thereafter.  Thanks

Patty and Dave,
If there is a lot of dirt and dust blowing out of your outlets all the time I'd say clean the ducts and also find out where the stuff is coming from?
If there were any loose dirt/dust in your ducts it would blow out when the blower came on.
If you keep a well fitted filter in your return air side/system and change it every 30 days you won't get any dust in the duct work and you never have to clean your ducts.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim Barnhart

Fifty + years conditioning the air.

Answer questions about , residential and commercial. Answer questions about sheet metal fabrication. Fifty years plus experience. No answers for oil equipment, No answers for kitchen appliances, No answers for laundry appliances, I don't specialize in one particular area of the HVAC area, I'm more of a General Practitioner, Limited in refrigeration/

Hands on since 1950