Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central Air

Hello Craig...I live in a single family home with which we have central air. I had heard that covering the unit during the winter months or off season, is not a good idea. The reasoning why escapes me at the moment. What's your take on that?
Thanks for your time

First of all, I live in the south and have a heatpump.  I do not have any experience covering them up.  Some say good, other say bad.  I guess it really comes down to the location of the unit and the risk of it getting damaged.  I would not make a cover air tight.  You do want the thing to warm up in the sun then there be excessive amount of moisture building up inside of it.  Depending on the type of unit, placing a cover over the top may not be a bad idea like this.

You could make a wooden box or something to cover so long it is vented to avoid the excessive moisture from getting to it.  If you do cover it up, before to turn the power off so it will not come on while covered.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.