Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central Air

Question
Hello Chuck...I live in a single family home with which we have central air. I had heard that covering the unit during the winter months or off season, is not a good idea. The reasoning why escapes me at the moment. What's your take on that?
Thanks for your time

Answer
Hi Ken,

I'm assuming you're talking about the  condenser unit  that is  outside of the house.  My primary concern for covering this unit  while it is not operating would be that covering the  top & the sides might invite "critters" to take up residence inside the unit during the winter. That being said, the unit is designed to "breathe" while the system is operating, so restricting the air flow completely is ill-advised. Covering the unit really serves no useful purpose; however, you might want to take a piece of plywood or a trash can lid & anchor them down with a couple of bricks or heavy rocks over the fan during the cold months. This may help protect the fan from ice & snow. As far as I'm concerned, you are better off getting a winter tune-up, then a spring tune-up and  forget about fidgeting with what to  cover  on your unit.  This equipment is made to exist outside in the elements, but regular maintaining of these units will improve performance & prolong the "shelf life".

Thanks,

Chuck

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Chuck Best