Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/crankcase heater

Question
We live in San Antonio, Texas and have a 14 year old Trane TWX036C100A2 unit.  It has been good to us over the years.  The crankcase heater shorted out this week.  The service tech recommended we not spend the $235 to replace it due to the age of the unit and the not-so-cold winter temperatures here.  I understand what the heater does and how it works.

Can you offer an opinion on his recommendation?  Do you think we might be nearing the end of this unit's lifespan?  Life is tough for an ac unit in Texas!

Answer

Like you, I live in The Lone Star State (life long Texan!)...and, yes...the severe summers here
wreak havoc on an HVAC system. If your system is, indeed, 14 years old, I also would recommend
replacing the entire system. Your furnace is the air-handler for your a/c unit in the summer (it all works together).
In my opinion, you are better served upgrading the entire system, and going to either a 14 SEER complete
system or, my favorite, a 16 SEER 2 stage system for maximum comfort & efficiency.

I recommend either a Lennox 16 SEER 2 stage, or an Amana 16 SEER 2 stage. Be sure and take advantage of  the
10 year parts & labor warranty that is offered, and on the Amana the warranty includes LIFETIME compressor/condenser
replacement!

Good Luck!

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Chuck Best