Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/gas heater pilot flame keeps going out

Hi, is there any mechanical reason other than wind that keeps putting my pilot light out on my furnace? I only had to light it 3 times last year, now I have to light it every time I want heat.
I just got off unemployment & don't want to be scammed by my UGI gas man again who tried to give me a $350 work order for a 10cent
fuse, which was all it needed at the time 2yrs ago. Please help-Maria

Hi Maria,

There are many reasons why this can happen. The gas pressure could be low going to the gas valve. The gas valve or pilot tube could have a restriction in it. You could take the thermocouple out and clean it with steel wool. If that doesn't work I would replace the thermocouple.

If you have any questions let me know.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.

I can answer questions on gas or electric furnaces, ac units and heat pumps. I don't work on boilers,chillers,or home appliances.

I have been in the HVAC trade for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have owned my own business. I am semi-retired so I can answer questions in a timely manner.

I attended trade school for 5 years on weekends and evenings. This was very hard to do, but well worth it!