Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Frozen ice maker

Question
Ice maker 2
Ice maker 2  
Ice maker 1
Ice maker 1  
QUESTION: Eric:

The ice maker on my fridge has frozen and I am not sure how to remedy the problem. There is an ice blockage near the top of the tube that feeds the ice maker. I have checked the supply line at the point that it enters the back of the freezer near the ice maker and it is not frozen, so the ice is limited to the top of the tube as it exits the back of the freezer wall. You can see the blockage on the attached photos. I have tried using a heat gun to melt the ice, but I can't get it close enough and it started to melt the plastic on the ice maker.

I am out of ideas at this point. Any suggestions you can provide are welcome.

ANSWER: Had you supplied the model number I would have been able to take a closer look at your unit and offer more professional advice.  at this point from what I can see.....I would try and tackle this from the rear of the unit.  The tube that goes from the rear of the unit through the rear freezer wall and pours into the ice maker is normally removable. Try removing this from the rear and then you can take it to your kitchen sink and rid yourself of the ice.  Supply model number and I make even be able to help on what is causing this problem.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Eric and Ann:

Thanks for your advice. The freezer is part of a whirlpool side by side ED5RHGXMQ00.

Thank you,

Mike

ANSWER: Please try my suggestions first.  If you need further assistance, I am here....

Eric

Ice maker rear 1
Ice maker rear 1  

Ice maker rear 2
Ice maker rear 2  
QUESTION: Eric:

I was able to disconnect the tube from the back of the freezer (images attached). The tube was free of ice. The ice blockage appears to be in the freezer itself just after the water enters the back of the freezer. I tried to remove the white plastic piece that seals the opening in the back of the freezer to access the blockage, but it appears to be sealed to the back of the freezer with a glue pad. I cannot access the ice blockage through the small hole where the tube inserts.

Is there another way to access the area where the ice has formed?

Thanks,

Mike

Answer
Remove the water tube going to the ice chute at the top of the refrigerator from the water valve below.  Using a hair dryer, warm the area at the top while blowing into the water tube you removed from the water valve at the bottom.  See if this works....  If it does your unit should work now.  If it freezes again, let me know and I will instruct further.  Watch you do not melt any plastic.  Keep the hair dryer moving at all times.  It may take a little while....Patience is the key here.....  

Eric

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion