Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/possible carbon monoxide from stove

Question
this might not be your area of expertise, but I thought you might have some ideas.

A tenant claims that his basement apartment stove/oven is emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. He said he tested the stove and it is fine. But the oven emits 300 ppm when on for 15 minutes. He tested as follows: Using a first alert carbon monoxide tester with digital readout, he placed the detector on the stove near the vents for the oven. After 15 minutes the level of carbon monoxide was 300 ppm. To my knowledge no windows were open at the time of the test. Is there a problem with the stove? Is the test a valid one. I thought that the carbon monoxide tester should not be near the kitchen to avoid a false reading. Hoping you can give me some guidance.

David

Answer
I am not sure of the proper procedure for testing but I certainly would not think checking it directly at the vents would give an accurate test. You may want to search testing for carbon monoxide or contact a local fire inspector to see the distance away from an appliance in order to obtain the proper reading. Thanks David

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

J Cook