Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Trane XL1200 Heat Pump

Hi Joe,  Thanks for helping me.

I am buying a house that has a Trane XL1200 heat pump.  The house is empty and no power has been to the unit for much more than 12 hours.
There's a sticker on the unit that states that if power has been off that long then l.  Turn the thermostat to "off".  2.  Apply power by closing the system disconnect switch which energizes the compressor heater which evaporates the liquid refrigerant in the crankcase.
My question:  Where is this switch located on the unit and what is meant by "closing" the switch?
Thanks again for your help.

The closing of the switch is the outdoor disconnect switch and the breaker for the outdoor unit ( breaker would be on your Panel ). Some say energise the CCH for up to 12-24 hours. You should verify that the CCH indeed works by placing your hand on the bottom of the compressor to verify that it's warm. Do not automatically assume that your heater works. It's just a heating element and subject to failure as they get old.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.