Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Air filter placement

My question is about the placement of air filters.  I have a forced air heating system with the propane fired boiler in basement and a crown air handler in the attic that I use for heat and central A/C.  The intake air registers are openable and are able to except air filters.  The air handler also has a place for a 20x20x1 air filter which I am using now.  

I have 2 pets with a lot of hair and I have allergy problems so I use the expensive 3m air filters.  

I was thinking of taking out the filter on the air handler and putting filters in the two air registers so that I have less hair and allergens going into the ductwork and unit itself.

Can i operate the air handler with no filter in it and two filers on the registers or even keep the air filter in unit for a total of 3 filters.  Will this damage the air handler or will it decrease its efficiency? Is this a good theory to get better air quality for allergen relief?
Thanks a lot for the help!  Tom

If your referring to " intake air registers are openable and are able to except air filters.  The air handler also has a place for a 20x20x1 air filter which I am using now." They are called, return air filter grille, and they open to accept filters, you do not need to install one next to your Air Handler. The advantage is convenience of changing and  keeping your return air duct relatively clean.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.