Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Furnace rumble

Question
Hello: I live in a  part of Canada with very cold winters.The temperature is heading to -30 tonight.Lately,I have been hearing a rumble from my two year old hi-efficiency Lennox gas furnace when it is running.The dealer said it was ice in the air intake pipe,choking the furnace for air.To prove it, he took the cover off the part of the furnace with the air inlet pipe attached,and the noise stopped.I have since treated the problem myself by pouring boiling water over the air inlet pipe outside,but today,that did not work.I was wondering if I could run a length of electric heating tape into the air inlet pipe from the outside to melt ice.Do you think that is a good idea? Thanks!

Answer
Michael,

I would contact Technical Rep. of Lennox and tell them your problem ( have your model number ready )or download a pdf file of the install guide, pay particular attention to how the manufacture recommends running the flue pipe, if you have a inlet screen ,some manufacture states to not install if OD temperature are below a certain temperature due to possible restricting the amount of air being drawn in due to freezing over. Your intake port outside may not piped correctly or you need to go to a larger size PVC pipe.Your suppose to not exceed a certain amount of 90 degree elbows on a piping system.Typically your suppose to terminate the intake and exhaust pipe ( two pipe system ) or one pipe exhaust a minimum of 12" above the highest anticipated snowfall level.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe