Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/heat pump

Question
I have a 14 year old trane heat pump, I had a total of 3 service technicians look at me unit. The first said the varible speed blow motor and hub is out 1248.00 to repair. The other two said the motor more than likely is still good that I only needed to replace the "moduel" i think that is what they called it, is the problem and would cost about 650.00 to repair. Should I consider replacing the whole system or do you think I would be ok with the 650.00 repair.

Answer
Dirk,

If the Tech. who quoted you the $650.00 is positive that is the only problem ,I would consider that option.For that price you should get at the vey minimum a 30 day labor warranty and up to one year on parts. This is what I would offer you as a Contractor myself , Your system being 14 years old .I would get rid of the existing variable speed motor option and electronic board(s) and buy a generic multi speed blower motor using a standard fan relay.Motor, motor capacitor and relay can be bought for $100.00-$125.00( Grainger.com being one source ) wire it in.You can ask any of the Contractors , as a option ,it is definitly doable.Very simple to reconfigure the control wiring inside the Air Handler. Download any brand   multispeed Air Handler to see a wiring diagram.If your mechanically/electrically inclined or know someone who is , that is what I would do. Then in the near or distant future consider getting a new system. Those Variable speeds bells and whistle high SEER rated systems are nice and save you couple bucks , but the initial cost and repair cost are a lot higher than a standard system.Looking at the overall  life cycle I do not see the savings.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe