Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/SxS refrig intermittent operation

Hi Eric:

We have a 10 year old Frigidaire side-by-side refrig model GLRS237ZAB5 that stopped cooling. Everything works except the compressor wouldn't start. After inspecting the connections around the compressor and overload and finding nothing wrong, we plugged it back in and suddenly it started and it worked fine for about a week. Then it stopped again and the compressor would sound like it started then would click off on the PTC relay/overload. There is a run capacitor on this unit and we checked to be sure that wasn't shorted and it checked good. We changed the PTC and it didn't work. Then we changed the defrost ADC board and it fired right up and ran again perfectly for about a week, then stopped and did the same thing. I have a volt-ohmmeter but don't have an amp gauge so can't tell if it is drawing high current, but when the compressor would start & run it sounded fine. There were no strange sounds, lags in starting, etc.

FYI, in testing components, I believe we determined that the cold control was fine (though we jumped that out to be sure it wasn't the problem) plus when it ran it held good temps. We are assuming that since we replaced them with new factory parts that the ADC board and PTC are good. Aside from the cold control, compressor and wiring, what does that leave to check? Hate to condemn the compressor (and therefore entire unit) without being sure.

You already replaced the two most common issues.....Relay and control.  Amp meter would be next to see if a high current draw at start-up is the culprit.  You can ohm out the three terminals on the compressor and email them to me.  I might be able to determine something.  Measure the stand-alone pin to the other two side by side and let me know these two values.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. If maxed-out... You may visit our website at for quicker service.

30 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched and is supervised by My Wife Ann who is also very experienced in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business

My credentials can be viewed on my website at