Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/American Standard Freedom 80 Blowing Cold

Question
Hello,

I have been having the same issue with my American Standard Freedom 80 furnace for the past two years.  It will run for a few cycles, but then time out.  The blower keeps running so it feels like it is blowing cold air-- but the burners are not running.  The error code is two blinks-- "system lockout. No flame. Check line polarity."

Last year I had a repairman replace the thermocoupler and the flame sensor.  I took steel wool to the flame sensor to buff it up, but still no luck.  He wants to replace the circuit board.  

Because that is a big bill, I am looking for outside advice without the $90 service charge, since that is money already spent.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Answer
Replacing the control board can be a hard call to make.  It seems to be working, but then it fails again at some point.  At this point if everything else with the unit checks out then by all means replace the control board.  I would make sure and keep the old one just in case the problem reoccurs and it is determined the board is not the problem you still have a good working board.  Sometimes those working on units misdiagnose things and the actual problem is something else or a bit harder to find.

Craig
achelpguy@gmail.com

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert