Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/extending duct work through an addition

Question

I am located in Canada with weather similar to vermont or new hampshire (hot in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter). I have a home with central forced air and A/C. I am planning to add to the house on the first level. Mainly make the living room/kitchen larger.

The addition will rest on an insulated crawlspace. The outside wall i plan to remove and essently push out about 10 feet has 4 registers. The returns are on the opposite wall.

Since the crawlspace will not be heated or cooled, can i  extend ductwork through a insulated crawlspace without loss of hot/cold air? Do i need to insulate the ductwork on top of insulating the crawlspace? Any other options?

Answer
Stephanie,

I would still insulate, I do not know what your codes are in your area of Canada about insulating or non insulating. Metal round would be ideal ,but if you only plan on going 10 feet I would consider flex duct stretched out to keep resistance to a minimal, it is already insulated,Codes vary on thickness of the insulation. Flex duct comes in 25 foot lenghts.you should have manual balancing dampers on the branch ducts coming off your main duct to help get the correct amount of air in that area

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe