Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Goodman gmp or gmpe only heating half the hosue

Question
Hi, we moved into this house last summer and have noticed that the basement doesn't seem to get as warm or cold as the rest of the house.  I started to investigate it further and noticed that it appears that only one vent in the basement is getting hot air.

It seems that everything to the left of the air filter from the furnace is not getting hot air.  I have felt the vents and the tubing.  I have looked for a lever of some kind that would be preventing the air from reaching it, but haven't been able to find anything.

We had the ignitor go out earlier this winter and had someone come out and fix that, he replaced the air filter at that time.  (It was early in the am and i completely forgot to ask about the basement at that time.)

I would be happy to attach a photo if that would help.

Thanks!

-John

Answer
You need to somehow determine if vents are connected.  You can do this by setting the unit to off and turning the fan to on.  With only the fan running, start turning off other vents in the home to see if air starts to come out.  You can tape a small piece of tissue to the vent to see if there is any air movement.  If no air ever comes out, then it is blocked off.  I would look for a damper.  If air does start to come out, then the system needs to be balanced so the correct amount of air comes out of each vent.

Craig
achelpguy@gmail.com

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert