Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Reversing valve

Question
I have a 2 ton, 10 seer Trane, split heat pump system.  System was only putting out 2-3 degree differential yet air handler coil was clean.  Tech stated outside compressor freon pressure was very high and reversing valve was not functioning properly.

Outside compressor was manufactured in 1/2000 and in operation towards the end of 2000.  

Tech says success rate of replacing reversing valve is risky and replacement is best option.

Do you agree or is replacing reversing valve a cost-effective way to get a couple more years out of the system.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Steve,
 What data did the tech give you that indicated the reversing valve?  In 30 years I have never had one go out, although I have changed a few in the past due to my boss telling me to on a unit under warranty and guess what?  It didn't cure the problem.
 I would be more inclined to say the metering device.  Those valves when they do fail don't fail part way as that one has to be able to give some work in the mode in question.  Is this im Heating?  Does in work in cooling and not heating or the other way around?  It would be very rare to fail with the valve going almost all the way across and then working in the other mode  (cooling to heating or heating to cooling). And then work good when you shift to the other mode.
 To answer your question, changing the valve is not that difficult.  You have to wrap it with heat paste and do the 4 connections " fast and ugly".  In other words get it sealed good and no time smoothing the sweat joints out and making them pretty as the valve body itself cannot exceed 200 degrees.  The danger lies in a perfecctly good valve that sticks, because that would mean there is "stuff" floating around in your system and then it is expensive, because to do it correctly so it does not happen again means changing the accumlinater, RV valve, metering device, filter and doing a very good job of cleaning the system and installing the new parts.
Let me know what Data he took to verify the valve and what the pressure readings on his gauges were in both cooling and heating modes along with the outdoor temp and indoor temp at the time he took those numbers.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman