Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/one room does not get enough air/heat from central A/C-Heat package unit

Question
QUESTION: I have a Carrier central air & heat package unit that works fine. The unit has duct-work in the crawl space.  The kitchen faces west and is hotter than the rest of the house in the summer.  Which of these options might work the best?
Install scoops to redirect the air, or
Install a larger duct going to the kitchen or
Install an additional duct to the kitchen.

ANSWER: Actually, all three might apply in this case.  What needs to happen, is a heat load calculation needs to be done.  Once that is done, then the existing system is checked to see if it is capable of the air flow needed for the kitchen.  Then the last step is to make the changes needed to the system to supply the proper air flow.  

Craig

QUESTION: Thanks so much for this answer.  I was wondering if you could explain how to make a heat load calculation.  Or is that something that an untrained person such as myself can't expect to understand?  Is there some formula?

Answer
The calculation is called a Manual J.  There is plenty of info on the Internet for it.  There are even programs that be downloaded.   Though it is not rocket science, it is something that has be done correctly.  There are many variables that play a part to determine how much heating and cooling is needed.  

Craig  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert