Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central Air Conditioner

Question
I'm looking to replace my 1998 Carrier central air
conditioner. I live in a 1400 sq. ft. Condo in Orlando, Fl.
The two companies I have met with have recommended
Rheem, Ruud, Carrier, Amana and are both are iffy about
Trane. They said I only need 13 - 14 seer.
The company quoting the Amana quoted $3300 and the other
company quoted $4800 for Rheem, Ruud or
Carrier.

Thanks

Answer
The Rheem and Ruud are one in the same.  They are both owned by Rheem.  Amana is owned by Goodman.  Trane is said the be one of the best, but seems to also seems to be one of the most expensive.  The min. SEER rating is 13. The higher the SEER rating, the more they cost to install, but the cheaper is is to run.  The higher SEER rated units generally come with more rebates and in some case better warranties.  I am not the biggest fan of Goodman, but they have been better and come with good warranties.  I would pick one with a good warranty.  Most bands these days use a lot of the same brand common parts.  I would place the Rheem and Carrier on equal playing fields.  The MOST important factor in all of this is the installer.  A poorly installed system, no matter how good it is, can fail early or not work at its best.

Craig  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert