Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/heil heat pump rev valve

Question
Pump runs in heat mode only. Replaced t stat w/Honeywell unit. Followed wiring connections. Called Honeywell to double check wiring. 24 v to t stat. compressor runs. Blower fan runs. o/b terminal 24 volts out of t stat. reversing valve terminals only 6 volts. no cooling. does the rev valve need 24 volts? Why do I have such a voltage loss fromi t stat?

Answer
I do not know the exact operation of your unit as they are all a bit different between brands and years made.  I will give it my best guess here.

Most cond. units these days have a defrost board in them.  The 24v from the t-stat is wired to the defrost board and is a control signal to tell the defrost board what to do.  The defrost board gets 24v power directly from the transformer.  The rev. valve is controlled by the defrost board and needs 24v to the coil for it to work.  You need to check the defrost board's operation.

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert