Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Outside AC unit

Question
I dont know if it was you that I asked the original question. Someone answered but the link provided in my email to see the answer does not work. My original question was:

Sitting watching television at about 11pm with the sliding glass doors open. I heard a noise outside. I go to investigate and I hear a cracking/popping sound coming from the outside ac unit and the smell of electric burning. The unit was not turned on when this happened so therefore was not running. I immediately turned off the power to the unit. Any idea of what this could be and what I might be looking at? I am a bit befuddled especially since the unit was not even running at the time. Any advice would be appreciated. This does not involve a heat pump.

Answer
Lee,

If this is a packaged one piece unit, It could be the transformer, as the transformer is powered all the time.They do burn out with age.Shut of the power to the outdoor unit and remove the electrical panel and check your wiring ,If indeed it is the transformer, they are inexpensive part, needing to match the VA rating ,typically it's 40 VA if your unit is a 220 volt system then the voltage rating would be 220 volt primary 24 volt ac secondary

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe