Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/PLHS67EGSB1 frigidare side by side

QUESTION: Last week I noticed some ice cream that was soft in freezer.  Temp has been fluctuating between 0 and 35 in freezer and refrig side is in the 40's.  Freezer has been holding at 35 for several days now.  I cleaned back of unit by compressor and the compressor fan is working. On the inside of freezer the coils were frost free except where the coil meets the copper line.  That had a thick build up of ice. I defrosted it and started unit back up but the problem persists. Also, the digital temp display jump around. The freezer side will display low temp and hi temps where as the frig side stay at 38 deg. when the actual temp is much higher. The unit is 6 years old.

ANSWER: A few alerts came as I read your problem....Frost free except where the coil meets the copper line.  First things first however....We need to determine if the compressor is actually running.  The rear condenser fan motor normally comes on when the compressor is suppose to be running.  If the compressor is in fact running, the coils in the freezer section behind the rear inside panel should be frosted top to bottom, left to right and front to rear.  To achieve this, the compressor normally would be running continuously for 10-15 minutes.  Let verify this before we continue.  Check this and respond with the results.  I will instruct further.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Thank you Eric and/or Ann for your response.  The compressor is warm to hot and the fan is running. The inside coil is frosted at the top as I mentioned earlier, along with the first loop on the coil.  I will add that I turned the unit off for most of yesterday.  I turned it on over night and the freezer temp was 35 and refrig is 55 as I type this 9:30am.

You definitely have a sealed system problem.  Whether it be a leak, a restriction or the compressor itself.    All three scenarios need to be performed by a qualified service technician.  If brought to our shop in PA, we would charge 189.95 to repair a leak or restriction and if a compressor, the cost of that in addition.  Not sure how they do things in your area.....     

Good Luck, Eric

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. If maxed-out... You may visit our website at for quicker service.

30 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched and is supervised by My Wife Ann who is also very experienced in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business

My credentials can be viewed on my website at