Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Venting outside - hvac

Question
In a 2 pipe gas furnace that is vented out of the side of a house what is the minimum distance (and max) that the intake and outtake vents should be? What issues could happen if the distance is less than the minimum?

Answer
Phil:

The distances are specified in the manufacturer's Installation Instructions. It's quite important to keep the two terminations in the same "pressure zone" to avoid nuisance shutdowns. In the event the two are too close, combustion products can be drawn into the combustion air.

This is "black and white" stuff: If your contractor has them too close, he has to correct it. The "AHJ" (Authority Having Jurisdiction") should fail the installation at inspection (you did insist on a permit and inspection, right?), and you are well within your rights to withhold final payment until corrections are made.

Fred

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Fred Weldin